Thursday, October 8, 2026

Dear Salem

I opened my computer and thought about doing some work. I also though about playing some video games to pass the time, but this trip I'm currently taking has done something to my heart that I felt I should share with you. It's so easy to say how many things I'm "supposed" to be doing right now, when the only thing I'm really supposed to be doing is staying at home and looking after you. It tears me up that I take trips like this, and it's going to tear me up next time when I have something like ten days away with only two short days in the middle to visit. I signed up for this and I am doing something I'm really proud of, but it all comes back to you, sweetheart. And, I already miss you so much.

Earlier this morning, your mom and I walked you to school. You're a kindergartener now and your teacher is Mrs. Coon. She's no Mrs. Morgan (your pre-school teacher), but she is still very kind and wants the best for you just like we do. Everyday you give us the biggest hugs and we even do this nose-nose thing. I wonder if you'll even remember it by the time you read this.

I wouldn't stop the time if I could, no matter how tempting that might be. You wouldn't want to stay this age forever, but boy oh boy is this a fun time to be your dad. I'm not scared anymore, although I used to be. I used to be afraid to see you hit a certain age when suddenly you'd stop liking me the way you do. I know friends will come into your life and they are very lucky to have you in their world. I always thought you'd make a very good friend because you've been my best friend since I met you.

I want to talk about something that I don't tell many people, and I hope it makes sense to you. Sometimes I think my love for you is similar to the way that God feels about us. When that thought reaches my mind, I cry a little because it's such a beautiful feeling. I know that I am plugged into something so special because you have allowed me into your world. I promise to do a great job being your father and I promise to take care of you for as long as I can. You'll always have a friend in me, Salem. You've done more for me than you could ever possibly understand. I love you. I LOVE YOU!

-Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Salem

I opened my computer and thought about doing some work. I also though about playing some video games to pass the time, but this trip I'm...