Friday, September 16, 2022

Letters to Salem

Hey Salem, You just turned 2 a few days ago, and I couldn't put this off for any longer. I want to write a few things down so we can look back at them someday, but also so you can know what it was like when you were very little. 

 You're a very curious little boy. I love to watch you see things for the first time and then become fascinated for days. A few short months ago you became interested in monster trucks, but you recently discovered dinosaurs (you call them 'saurs'). I think the water has been your most amazing discovery though, and this winter I am hoping to take you to swim lessons somewhere, although I'm not yet sure where. 

I love when we cuddle up and read stories before bed or nap time. As I write this, it hits me that you're too big to sit on my lap in a rocking chair before bed, and I will always remember those nights fondly. I used to hum to you, 'I got you babe..' and a little tear just came to my eye as I wrote those words. 

You're becoming a really cool guy, Salem. You make everybody smile whenever you are near, and we miss you whenever you are gone. I want to tell you something about the future, but there is no way to ever know what the future will bring. I want to show you so many things. I want to show you waterfalls, and not just the ones at Bavarian Inn. Those are nothing compared to the waterfalls in the jungle. Did you know your mom and I used to live in the jungle? 

Well, this is a new project I'm making, and I hope you find it someday. If I'm good about this, I'll write every so often and share with you a few thoughts. I think you're about to wake up from your nap and I should go eat something. I just shaved my head yesterday. I like it. I was worried that you wouldn't recognize me, but you smiled big when you saw me just like you always do. 

 Hey Salem, I hope we're buddies in the future. I'm trying my best to make a cool world for you to grow up in. I can't keep this bubble safe forever, and someday you'll be off to school. I just hope that you know this place will always be safe for you to come back to, and I will always be your dad. 

Love you, Slim 
-Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment