Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Donkey Kong Junior

Hi Salem,

I'm writing this from my garage, which we have been calling the 'garcade' because that's where daddy has been building a small arcade. It's where I go to exercise, tinker with old gadgets, hang out with friends and listen to weird music. Really, it's just a place where I go to think, and in between a few moments of me-time I stumble upon these thoughts which I've never had a chance to sort through. This might be a strange letter, but follow me (your dad is a mystical dude).

You're two years-old now and slowly sneaking upon those days when you'll begin remembering your experiences in the world around you more clearly. You are currently on learning overdrive, and your mother and I feel like we are watching real magic when we see you put your thoughts together and make connections. You're talking so much now, and I just want it to be remembered that your longest sentences are usually song lyrics, especially the ones about monster trucks.

You might not be remembering each day in the same way adults do, but you're absorbing everything constantly. It's my job to make sure you are soaking up the best of the world around you while patiently exposing you to the not-so-pretty side of the world, a side we have yet to talk about. God it breaks my heart to ever think of that side of the world getting the best of you. I'm trying really hard not to worry, but this parenting thing is real and there is so much that is possible in one lifetime. I trust the winds and I believe in the good things coming. I also believe that you are the best thing that has ever happened to my world and I know the rest of the Earth will find you to be incredible like I do everyday.

Here's something fun that I like to muse myself with. You're two. When I was exactly your age it was March, 1984. I don't remember that month very clearly, but I do feel the excitement of learning about that time and listening to its music. I'm a little lost for new music these days, but I can tell you that your mother and I tried our best to bring you up with the classics much like we were raised. You and I dance in the kitchen just like I did with my mother, and countless photos have emerged proving that we have been doing this for many generations. 

Your father's family has a lot going on, and I could only imagine what I'll be able to remember to pass on to you. There are so many great stories, but also great memories. They feel like portals, and when I really concentrate I can transport myself back just for a split second to when I was little like you. I hope you're enjoying this ride Salem, I know we are!

-Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment