Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Guitars and Treasure Maps

Hey Salem,

You're away at the moment and I am starting to miss you a bit. I always miss you when you're gone, but sometimes it helps to dream up all of the things we can do together someday. Right now you are on a wild learning streak, and it seems like every single day you are coming up with new words. You can count to ten quickly, and I hear it when you're excitedly counting the wheels on the trucks of your cool new blanket on your cool new bed. I love that bed and I love watching the lights on the ceiling from your little projector. Sometimes we just make shadows with the flashlight from my phone and tell stories about animals we haven't seen yet.

So, today has me thinking about something creative and I'm sure this is just an overflow of the sudden rush of musical inspiration I have been feeling lately. It's strange how music and art come in waves to me. Admittedly, I was ignoring those inspiring calls of creativity, but it's all coming back to me. I was on fire today. I want to share that fire with you, and I am always wondering to myself how to do that while respecting your own personal interests. You see Salem, I'll love and support you no matter what you are into. I know what I'm into and I know what inspires me, but I always am very aware that everybody feels inspiration in different ways. Maybe you're a sports guy, or a writer, or maybe something I haven't ever dreamed of. Whatever it is, I will be here for you and try my best to help you grow in your creative pursuits. 

Sometimes we feel no creativity at all, and it is up to us to be mindful that this is always temporary. This is our time for observation and learning. It took me a long time to understand that, so be patient with yourself. 

Gosh, I wonder what you'll be like in the coming years. I will never rush the time, but I have always been comfortable with its passing. We're just temporary things, just like our creativity. Yet, life is an artform and we are given some very beautiful colors to work with. Maybe you'll think stuff like that is silly to say. Maybe you'll think dad is lame. I'm okay with that. Dads are lame. But dads are only dads because of their children and I am so deeply happy with nothing else in this world quite like I am being your dad. 

Go out there and get yours from this world. I mean, it's not your time yet. You're so young still, but you have that spark of adventure in your eyes. I can see it every time you get that look on your face before running off when we are playing at the park. But, you're also so loving, and I can see that clearly when you show endless kindness to everybody you meet. My God that makes me so proud of you, Salem. I love everything you're becoming.

I admire you dude,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment