Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Afrobeat

Afrobeat inspires me to write. So does the wind that has taken control of my front door. I'm off to Mexico tomorrow morning on a very early flight, and I'm enjoying these much appreciated short trips out of the country. I'm equally appreciative of the people who helped me get this position at the university, and I'm really excited about future opportunities to work and travel.

Can you tell I just wrote an email to my boss? 

When I listen to afrobeat I'm reminded of college, specifically those days in the Trumbull house. When we first moved into that place we used to have epic drum circles just to embrace our newfound sense of freedom. You see, we used to get in trouble for that kind of thing at the Belcrest (Sid mostly). If you understood either of those places, then we are old friends and I love you. 

It feels like college but it also feels like that excitement before travel. In college I was working hard just to get through, I wasn't even sure I wanted to go to college in the first place, yet I finished with a degree in elementary education and English, and it was my ticket into the US Peace Corps. That's where this all began, this lust for wandering. Suddenly I feel quite rejuvenated just thinking about how much I like traveling the world. Maybe that's what is waking back up inside of me, something sure has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment