Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Port Hope

I'm still staring at my computer and it's just about 3:30 on a Wednesday. I've been grading papers all day in the kitchen of our up north trailer while my son runs around acting like a dinosaur. Well, he's sleeping at the moment, but I'm still at it staring at this screen. Lately I've been thinking of trying to spend less time in front of screens.

My wife is beautiful. Look at her, across the table from me, looking out the window. I think she's brainstorming some new ideas for her candle and soap company. We were talking about investing in some land soon. That always comes up when we're out here in Port Hope. 

Maybe this is a 'life is good' post. Life is pretty stinking good. Yet, I buried my father's ashes a few hours ago under a memorial marker near our front porch, and I've been feeling quite surreal ever since. My mom is pretty torn apart and even she can't hide it. She tries though. She spends as much time with Salem as she can and I don't even know how we would have gotten through this without him.

One of my students just got his F-1 Visa to come study in the USA. I'm pretty excited for him. It's a massive sense of accomplishment for both of us.

I guess I can sit back and relax now. I'm working on that. Life is better when it feels like I'm narrating my own adventure, and it feels just like that right now. Yesterday I woke up at 5:25 in the morning to watch the sun from underwater. It was 47 degrees below the surface. The sun looked a very strange red without changing the color of any nearby clouds, they just stayed grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment