Sunday, July 2, 2023

Do Shadows Have Memories?

My house was build almost 90 years ago. The original owners were a man named Sigmund Harris and his wife Evelyn. They probably had a few children too. Apparently the family was here from the time the house was built all the way until about twenty years ago when only Evelyn remained here. She was known to gather the fallen flowers from the magnificent magnolia tree in front of the house one by one and put them in buckets. I'm not certain, but the story goes that Sigmund planted that tree for her birthday, anniversary or perhaps Mother's Day. Today it's probably the biggest magnolia tree in our city.

The house was a rental for 17 year after that. I hear there were some interesting characters to pass through including a violently alcoholic couple that actually left damage on the fence during a drunken brawl. Like Sigmund and Evelyn, the many renters also came and when, and now my little family lives here. We have a little candle shop in the basement and I work from home as a traveling professor. Salem grew up here.

I could only wonder if the house remembers us by our shadows. What would they say about us?

No comments:

Post a Comment