Monday, November 14, 2022

T-Rex

Good morning, Salem I found a little bit of time to write before leaving on a flight to Seattle today. It's crazy how free time is such a luxury these day, but even as it becomes available to me, my thoughts immediately turn to my beautiful son. I miss you already, and I won't see you for a few days. It's so much fun being your dad. 

Anyway, I was thinking about something this morning, and I had to make sure that I wrote it down. I guess I wanted you to know that as a dad I've learned a lot of lessons, but one has stuck out in my mind the most. Before you become a dad you have this belief that you will have everything figured out by the time you have kids. You just assume that everything will have resolved itself somehow, but I have learned that this might be impossible in even a lifetime. There are simply things I'll never understand, and it scares me to think that I might fail at my responsibility to protect you from the scary things. 

I'm looking at your dinosaur toys next to the screen and it reminds me of how brave you are. You were once afraid of T-Rex, but it didn't last long at all. In fact, you quickly became excited to face your fears with that terrible lizard. Now you guys are friends, and you play together all the time. 

I'm trying to do the same in my life, but the moment you came into this world I became aware of how many fears I've never faced before. I really just wanted to let you know that my journey seems to have just begun, and it's with gratitude I am sharing this new journey with you. I'll try my best to face those terrible lizards in my life, but I know I'll be fine because I have a really good son to inspire and teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment