Monday, November 28, 2022

Home is wherever I'm with you

Hi Salem,

There's been so much going on lately that I had to take a minute to write to you (who is reading this far in the future. I hope it's a beautiful place there and then). I'm growing professionally and finding better ways to improve myself in the academic world. I hope you think that's cool someday. For a long time, your dad was a teacher who traveled around the world teaching people English. However, he went a different path for a short while and it wasn't until earlier this year that he found his passion again.

I feel that this is settled now and I can officially begin to live in the present a bit more. Sometimes I struggle with that. I watch you change and grow every day, and I know that time is just flying by like leaves blowing in the wind, but I am here and this is now and there is nothing else that I am more certain of. When I am conscious of "when" I am, then I can become more conscious of "where" I am, and I know exactly where I am when I'm with you. I'm home.

Your mother and I used to travel extensively. We've both spent time abroad and your father used to live in several different countries. We've often wondered what it would be like when you came around, and I was very shocked by what happened. You see, the moment you were born I felt this sudden rebirth in my own life. It seemed like nothing before that moment had ever even mattered. Just 'poof!', a cloud in the distance. My travels were like stories that I read in books, somehow not truly my own experiences. My real story began the day you came into this world, and now it feels like I am seeing everything for the first time.

So, because of this we travel slowly, and we are starting from the beginning. We go on adventures that are in our home state, or even stay at hotels with pools where you run wildly down the oddly-carpeted hallways. It's actually tons of fun, and I love watching you see things through your new and beautiful eyes. If everything goes well, I'd love to take you out west next year and show you how vastly dynamic this country can be.

Salem, I'm just really happy and grateful to be your dad. Thank you for being my little boy. I love these years with you and even though I know life is just an adventure, it has no sense of home without you. You are my everything and I hope one day you realize just how much you've done for me.

Your first travel buddy,
Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment