Saturday, January 28, 2023

Hello, I'm a dinosaur

A few weeks ago we got a new couch and it came with huge cushions. Salem likes to play this game called 'mountain', and it's pretty self-explanatory. I love to watch him build forts and knock the walls down, but the coolest game we play is one called 'dinosaur eggs'. 

We pile Salem under a heap of couch cushions and every time he emerges as a different dinosaur. It's stinking adorable, and I'm writing about it in my old travel blog. I just wanted to take a moment to think about that fact.

I still talk to the roommates I had when I began my first blog. We're all on our own weird paths, but somehow I'm suddenly feeling this connection to those good old days. 

My dad is going though something rough, and it's been weighing on me heavily. Sometimes I feel like that little kid inside of me is hurting badly, and I'm selfishly worried that part of me is leaving. 

"Rarrrr, Hello! I'm a T-Rex! Rarrrr!"

Lately I've been wondering what this next chapter will bring. That's not true. Lately I've been trying to pay better attention to the path ahead of me, but I certainly don't want to ruin the surprise. I'm focused now, and part of that came from a recent decision to quit drinking. A good friend was really fired up about an upcoming trip to Boston and he was super pumped about how drunk everyone is going to get, but I'm in no mood at all to party. 

Minutes after hanging up the phone with him I quit drinking. That gave me an immediate boost, much like my decision to go vegan last year around my birthday. Now I'm on fire about something, and it's kept me much more centered. 

All day today I've been playing guitar and I have some brutal calluses forming from how much I've put into it these last few weeks. I think its pretty cliché to say, but music is very healing, and it has certainly helped me deal with the sadness I've been feeling. 

"Rarrr, Hello! I'm a Stegosaurus! Rarrr!" 

I feel much better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment