Monday, June 19, 2023

Frederic

I'm at an Air Bnb right now in Frederic, Michigan watching a massive fly buzz around the light of my laptop. My family is asleep in this one room cabin rental, and after a few minutes of playing a pixelated remake of FFV on my phone for a few minutes I suddenly felt like writing. 

This seems like one of those places where I'll wake up either in the middle of the night or early in the morning and have no idea where I am. This trip through Michigan is taking us to lots of beautiful places, but out focus has mainly been on Salem who had no problem showing us how much energy he had stored up by riding in the car for four hours today. Now its that peaceful moment when he's asleep and I can think for a second or two, but writing that makes me feel weird. I guess it's one of those things that only parents can understand. Sometimes I need to be alone for a while to process, but that's not a luxury I can always indulge. Yet, in this moment I'm realize that everything is in a pretty magical balance.

I made a list about a week ago, you should too. I wrote down everything that I was worried about, and I included the little things. I only wrote one or two words for each item and it came to fill and entire sheet of lined yellow paper one time over, although in a thin column. Over the last week I've drawn a line through bout half of them, and honestly that's more than I really expected. I wrote things like, 'Salem' and 'Elena' on my list, and I'd never stop worrying about them. It made me feel really good to see that I don't have to worry as much as I thought. Perhaps that's because most of the things I worry about are needlessly fretted over, but I spend much of my waking day concerned that my son could run off in any direction at any time. He's fast, yo.

Okay, back to FFV.

No comments:

Post a Comment